Auditions are conducted by the Chorus Austin Artistic Director Ryan Heller. Each audition lasts about 10 minutes and includes three parts:
- Vocalization and Tonal Memory
- You will be lead through a series of vocal exercises to hear range, different vowel sounds, and ability to produce a variety of colors. You will also be tested on tonal memory: a series of intervals will be played and you will be asked to sing them back. This is not only about a singer’s ear, but identifying the aural learners among us.
- Sight Reading and Harmonization
- You will be asked to sight read two short excerpts, one a cappella, and one accompanied. You may use solfege, numbers, or any syllable that works for you. All candidates are required to try the sight reading, regardless of experience, for music-reading assessment.
- Performance Piece
- Please prepare an art song or aria, selections in a foreign are preferred but not required. Your piece does not have to be memorized (although memorization is preferred), but sheet music is required for the accompanist. The piece must be of a classical nature, NO POP SONGS are accepted for an audition. If you have questions regarding your piece, please do not hesitate to ask (see below).
Chorus Austin will provide an accompanist. As in the past, interested soloists have taken advantage of the time, yet your audition will not exceed 15 minutes. If you are a prospective soloist, plan to prepare two contrasting selections, with one from the standard oratorio repertoire.
Auditions will be held at: Redeemer Lutheran Church, 1500 W Anderson Ln, Austin, TX 78757
If you have any questions at all, please send email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call Walter Stewart at 512-402-9522 or 512-496-2822.
Once you choose a scheduling time, choose Continue.